At the Alliance of Arizona Nonprofits, we believe in the power of community service. We know the programs that are working to lift rural Arizonans’ out of poverty are worth investing in. AmeriCorps VISTA connects communities to these capacity building resources at a low cost to the community with a high return.
About Americorps VISTA
Through capacity building activities such as fundraising, grant writing, research, and volunteer recruitment, AmeriCorps members in the VISTA program serve in an office setting, gain experience, and leadership skills. This opportunity prepares members for a life of service in the public, private, or nonprofit sector.
Alliance VISTA members make a year-long, full-time commitment to serve in rural Arizona on a specific project at a nonprofit organization, Native American tribe, public agency, or educational institution. With passion, commitment and hard work, Alliance VISTA members bring individuals and communities out of poverty.
Benefits of VISTA Service
Members are paid a biweekly living stipend, from AmeriCorps and become eligible to receive an education award or cash stipend upon completion of service. During their service, VISTA members will also receive a housing allowance, paid directly to their landlord, and monthly professional development training.
VISTA is the only AmeriCorps program that is allowed to earn federal non-competitive eligibility (NCE), giving members an edge in the federal hiring process.
Click here to find out more about the benefits of becoming an AmeriCorps VISTA member.
Becoming a VISTA
VISTA is for anyone who wants to a make a difference! VISTA is an ideal opportunity for those who want to have a true impact on their community, while building experience, skills, and a network in a sustainable way.
All candidates must be at least 18 years old, hold US citizen/legal resident status, be a college graduate, commit to full-time service in rural Arizona for at least one year, and possess community service experience (no matter how informal).
Join the Alliance VISTA Team!
The Alliance partners with organizations across the state who have a program in need of capacity building through our AmeriCorps VISTA program. Not from Arizona, or want to relocate within the state? Not a problem! AmeriCorps will provide assistance if you are relocating more than 50 miles.
Want to be a positive force for change? Apply to become a part the Alliance VISTA Team or reach out to Angelica Hernandez-Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org or 520-689-4273. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, unless otherwise noted.
- Lake Havasu- Economic Specialist VISTA
- Safford – Food Pantry Outreach
- Safford – Community Outreach VISTA
To apply, you will need to complete a profile on my.americorps.gov.
Hosting a VISTA Member
To help expand the capacity of organizations in rural Arizona to achieve and sustain extraordinary efforts in their communities, The Alliance of Arizona Nonprofits serves as an Intermediary AmeriCorps VISTA Sponsor. This means that we help organizations place individual VISTAs in their community for 3 year project cycles.
The basic requirements of the Alliance’s VISTA sites are:
- VISTA projects must be located in Rural Arizona or serve a statewide population.
- VISTA projects must be capacity building.
- VISTA projects can be hosted at a nonprofit organization, Native American tribe, public agency, or educational institution.
- VISTA projects must be sustainable beyond the length of the VISTA member’s term.
- Partner Share Support – $10,500 annual ($500 recruitment fee and $10,000 once a VISTA is placed with your organization).
What are the benefits of applying through the Alliance for a VISTA member?
- Dedicated VISTA program staff who understand the VISTA program and contributing factors to successful projects.
- The Alliance is responsible to complete the required VISTA reporting and administrative paperwork. This gives your organization more time and resources to devote directly to your project, and not the program requirements of AmeriCorps VISTA.
- Recruitment and enrollment assistance of the VISTA member.
- Initial and ongoing support to the VISTA member.
- Ongoing training and professional development for VISTA member.
Click here for more information. If you are interested in becoming a host site, please contact Angelica Hernandez-Williams at email@example.com or 520-689-4273.